Monday, November 18, 2013

My Latest Best Read: Call The Midwife

After watching a couple of episodes of Call The Midwife when I was back in New Zealand, I was hooked. 

The day before I went to Budapest I needed a smallish sized book to stuff into my hand luggage; a book that would be perfect for the plane; a book that would be perfect to read when I had some downtime. 

Call the Midwife was the perfect solution. I devoured the book within two weeks, which is a pretty big accomplishment for me! It's not often I love a book from the very start til the very end, so that's saying something! 


Jennifer Worth writes from her own experiences of being a midwife in the East End during the 1950's. She tells stories of her patients, her co-workers and what it was like living in a time that is a complete contrast to now. 

Reading about the living conditions in the 1950's, the types of work people had to endure, the different lives they lead, new medical marvels like The Pill and the NHS system - all things we take for granted these days! 

Each chapter was written from the heart and shared so beautifully, it made me have real feelings for those people; sadness, compassion, hope, joy.

This story really made me think of how lucky I am to be living in a day and age, where medical services are at the tips of our fingers; I am lucky enough to have a pretty ok paying job; I'm lucky enough to live in a flat that's warm and cosy and doesn't leak; I have access to food and water when ever I please. 

I was a little bit sad when I finished reading it. I never wanted it to end. Never fear - there are two other books that follow on from this; Shadows of the Workhouse and Farewell to the East End.

If you are yet to watch the TV series, you can catch season one and two on this link! Call the Midwife season 1 and 2

I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn a little bit of history whilst reading something beautiful, yet sad, yet amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment